Pages

Monday, October 20, 2014

:: it's a horse of a different color ::

It's Pinspire Me Monday over at the paper issues blog!  Corri found this great color palette on Pinterest, and asked us to use it as inspiration for a project!  I took on the challenge.


Not only do I love these colors together, I also love that water color look.  So I grabbed a white piece of card stock and my gelatos and got busy:


I started with the background.  First I slathered a bit of gesso on the white card stock to prep it a bit.  I only put it through the center of the page, where I knew the gelatos were going to go.  This helps the color move across the page a bit easier.  If you are interested I did do a video showing a few techniques I use often with gelatos (it also talks a bit about gesso).  I created a bit of texture by not smoothing the gesso out when applying. After it dried, I applied the gelatos, and moved and blended the colors with a water brush.

While that was drying, I grabbed some patterned papers from Heidi Swapp's September Skies collection (they go PERFECTLY with the color palette).


As you can see, this paper is a lovely blue, with white (and black) flowers of various sizes.  It's beautiful on it's own.  But I wanted to add a bit of color.  So I grabbed the above gelatos and painted some of them with a water brush!  I think you can see it in this photo (along with the texture created with the gesso under the color on the white card stock).


I was going for the look that Amy Tangerine has in some of her watercolor inspired patterned papers, so I didn't really "stay in the lines" while I was painting, I got a bit messy with it.


While that was drying, I grabbed another piece of white card stock and added some color with more gelatos and a water brush.  I used this piece of paper to cut out (freehand) the letters for the word "COLOR".

Finally I used a few more scraps of that same paper and made the triangles.  Of course I had to add some stitching and pop dots.  ;-)

If you'd like to play along with us over at the Paper Issues blog, click here for details.

If you are interested in gelatos, Heidi Swapp's September Skies, a water brush, or anything else that suits your fancy, check out the Paper Issues Store.  Don't forget to use the code 'orangegearle' to receive 20% off your order!


Did you see the Cut It Out Saturday link party????  It's a new feature at Paper Issues -- and Jennifer Chapin created an awesome FREE cut file!  AND if you participate and win -- you could snag the November Swag Bag!   I hope to be back soon with a layout to share that I made with this file, it's a great one!


See you again soon!





No comments:

Post a Comment