Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2013

my mom


My mom has always looked and acted much younger than she is. In fact, it is unbelievably easy to forget that she is seventy-six. Her attitude and heart are clearly still somewhere in their thirties…maybe forties...and she looks at least twenty years younger than her chronological age. I took this photo a year ago, on Mother’s Day. After our celebrations were over and I was home looking at all the photos on my computer, this photo of her hand reminded me, she is in her seventies. I am so lucky that I have my mom. I don’t know what I would do without her.

There were other memories that came flooding back when I saw this photo. I used to sit on my mother’s lap and play with her hands.  Specifically, I would hold a finger from each of her hands and click the fingernails together. I don’t know why I did this, I just remember that I felt safe in her arms, and somehow doing this was comforting. I always wanted to grow up and have long nails like my mother (I don’t, by the way).  I also remember that her hands and fingers seemed so big compared to mine. This memory must be from when I was quite small because her hands are tiny compared to mine now! I think it’s interesting that something that seems so minor, clicking my mother’s fingernails together, is really such an important memory; and that this photo strikes such an emotional chord in me. 

matching socks -- from just a few weeks ago!
at the fair last summer
at grandma's last summer

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post!! Happy Mama's Day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah absolutely precious memories. I still miss my mom every day even after 31 years. She was taken way to early. Happy mothers day :D

    ReplyDelete